Tuesday, September 4, 2012

{Roasted Vegetable Pizza Sauce}

Today, I had an amazing burst of energy!! I was able to wake up on my own, which is something my preggo body LOVES right now, and I have felt all day! I was able to get a time amount of school done and do a little cleaning, it felt good to feel like a useful housewife again! So, because of my recent burst of energy, I was going to do some cooking therapy.  In the recent months, I have come to love cooking more than baking (shock-horror!) I think it is because there is more freedom, you can be a little rebellious and usually nothing goes wrong and no one gets hurt, but I think that's the inner rebellious child that never came out( thank goodness). Anyways, I noticed that some of our veggies were on the verge of being useless, and I knew that pizza would be a great use for everything. The only thing we had to buy was cheese, and Travis got a nice block, so it'll last a while! Someone had left us a jar of spaghetti sauce, and though I am not a huge fan of ready-made food, I felt that I could dress it up and put it to good use.
I started with my pizza dough, which doesn't take very long and it's an excellent recipe,but it didn't cooperate with me on it's duty to rise. I blame it on the humid but not-so-hot day that we had, but it turned out very nicely and it was pliable and wonderful,just as pizza dough should be! I started to roast some peppers,mushrooms,garlic and tomatoes. Everything was smelling lovely and the smell of the roasted peppers was overtaking my house...oh gosh was I getting so excited.
After roasting my peppers, I began to slice them and I realized they were mushier than I had expected. I then looked at these roasted peppers,and I looked back at my sizzling tomatoes,and my beautiful crispy garlic and my glorious mushroom..and I had a stoke of genius.

Roasted Pepper Sauce.

Bam.

I threw everything in the blender and added just a little bit of the jarred stuff because the veggies didn't want to blend. I threw in some salt and pepper and pulsed it a few times. It smelt lovely and tasted heavenly...this was going to be goooood!

And oh yes..it was good. It was very good.

Anyways, I thought I would share my delicious pizza sauce recipe with you and hopefully encourage you to find your inner culinary artist and make something yummy and homemade!

Much Love,

Autumn

Here's the recipe


3 to 4 bell peppers- They can be any color or variety
5 mushrooms, sliced
3 big cloves of garlic, cut into large chunks
1 small red onion ,sliced
1 large tomato,sliced medium thick!
Plain ol' tomato sauce, or the jarred stuff...whatever you have on hand is fine and you'll use a half a cup or so. Eyeball it
Salt and pepper

-Heat a large skillet or griddle for about three minutes
-Place peppers on skillet and allow to burn and soften, turn so all sides are well burnt
-Remove and set aside
- Add some olive oil and wait about 30 seconds and add your garlic and mushrooms. You want your garlic to be browned, but not black and your mushrooms should not shrivel up to nothing. Remove from pan and set aside
-Place your slice tomatoes in your pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let them get a little black on both sides. Turn off stove and remove from heat
- Roughly chop your peppers and place them along with everything else in your blender, including some salt & pepper and tomato sauce.
-Pulse it up a few times and check the texture, it can be however you like it, I like mine a  o the smoother side with a feel chunks.
- Lay it on thick with on your dough, and add any toppings or cheese that suits your fancy, we used pepperoni, but chicken would be an awesome choice because it wouldn't interfere with the aroma of sauce.
-Cook for about 15-20 minutes in a very hot oven, using a spatuala you can see how brown the bottom is,it should be patchy brown.
-Share with your family and friends and you will find that they will love you forever!

Let me know how it turns out!






2 comments:

Mehwish said...

That sounds lovely. I have all the ingredients except for the cheese...can't wait to try this!

Autumn Klare Wallace said...

Hi Mehwish! My husband said that it would have been good,even without the cheese! Just all by itself...but he may be a littl bias :)

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting