Friday, July 29, 2011

{Childhood Dreams Face Reality }

My childhood dreams differed from the normal American child. Partly because I grew up as a missionary kid on the foreign mission field and partly because I found everything else predictable. Most of my friends used to dream that they would one day, grow up, graduate high school, go to some prestigious university, and do something incredible with their lives, like becoming a doctor. Some dreamed of becoming a big named movie star and they would prance their way into fame and fortune.I on the other hand did not have such notions. From a very young age, I knew that I would grow up, graduate high school, and go to bible college, and my M199 would to work in the coffee shop. That was my ultimate goal. Honestly, that is all I really wanted to do.

Well, here I am , 19 years old and I am working in the Cappuccino Bar. I make lattes,white coffees,dirty chai. I serve cheese cake,warm up brownies, and according to our AVFL group, I make the best sundaes.

This may sound very glamorous and fun to you, but let me tell you. It is not all that it seems. Allow me to explain, you begin your shift with a clean SOS polo, a neatly pleated skirt, a dark and perfect apron. But you make one coffee, and some of the steamed milk splashes on your apron. Then you run over to the ice cream to make a sundae, and somehow some of the chocolate syrup drips all over your fingers. So you must wipe it all off on your apron. You make a frappuccino,and you spill the leftovers all over the counter and your apron. Needless to say, you are covered in coffee,syrup and whipped cream.

I am not complaining, I love the Capp Bar. I love the feeling you get after you serve someone their morning latte, or when you give someone a warmed brownie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream with a squirt of whipped cream and a drizzle of caramel.

Yes, yes... it's the good life.

-Autumn

"For who is the greater, one who reclines at table or one who serves? Is it not the one who reclines at table? But I am among you as the one who serves."

Luke 22:27

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting